What is FFMPEG?
A Multimedia Framework where FF stands for Fast Forward, it is an open source library or tool through which you can encode or decode a video format into any other format. It supports all video formats (h264, vp8, opus, etc) and all file formats (mp4, WebM, mkv) and it supports all streaming protocols (http, rtmp, hls).
This project was started by Fabrice Bellard in 2000. It was then led by Michael Niedermayer from 2004 to 2015.
Tools provided by FFMPEG
1. FFmpeg:It is the main tool used for converting codecs from one file format to a different one.
2. FFplay: It is used to ply the files from the library.
3. FFprob: It analyses the streams
1. LibavDevice contains input and output devices, for grabbing and rendering software.
2. LibavCodec has coder and decoder for codec
3. LibavFormat contains multiplexer and demultiplexer for file formats.